Friday, January 29, 2010

What to do when there is a snow storm outside, Part 1.

I love to bake!
Hi This is Hers, and I just wanted to share this with the world - I love to Bake! I am not saying I'm good at it, no not at all, but there is something about baking that makes me feel good. Not to speak about the end result - most of the time it makes me happy to enjoy the end result too ;0)

When I grew up my baby brother was the baker and I was the dinner maker. He would shake his hand - make some magic - and Voila a Cake, or some lovely Rolls or a Kringle (sweet yeast
goody). He is still the magician in the family, but I am not letting that scare me off to much...

Here, out on the country side, where our Kitchen is located we just had a BIG winter storm. For most people living on the northern part of our planet this storm is a joke, but for us - here in the South - this is serious business. When you can't go out because the door is blocked by snow there is in my humble opinion nothing better to do than bake some bread ~ Mormor's bread (Grandma's bread). This bread is a dark and heavy (full of fiber), moist and rich bread with nuts and dried fruit. It works as lunch bread, bread for a cheese plate, bread alongside a stew or a soup, basically it goes well with everything.

This is what you need:
1 liter White flour
2 dl Whole Wheat flour
4 dl Rye flour
1 dl grounded flaxseed
2 dl Quick Oat
1 1/2 bag of dry yeast
1 dl oil (I like olive oil myself)
1 ts. salt
2 dl dried apricots
2 dl dried pruns
2 dl nuts ( I used pecans today, but walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts are yummi too!)
1 liter "a little warmer than body temp. water".
(The doug will appear really really moist and that is the point. The grains will soak up a lot of the water and after the dough has rested it'll be perfect.)

Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and work the doug for at least 10 minutes. I am using my KitchenAid making this doug and I usually let it work for between 10 and 12 minutes. You will know when to stop when the doug looks a little like chewing gum - the way you can pull on it.
Let the doug rest and rise in the mixing bowl for at least 40 min. to an hour on a draught free area of the counter.
Use your hand to divide the doug in three parts and lift each part of the doug over in a pre-greased bread pan. Yes - this is correct - you do not have to work this doug at all on the counter. Just mix - let rais - bake. Did someone say easy?! ;0) Let the bread rest and rise in the pans for around 30 minutes before baking them. This way you avoid getting cracks in the bread while baking them.

Bake the loafs in the midle of the oven on 400F / 200C for 40 minutes, and Voila:

Mormor's bread!


1 comment:

  1. I have tried Mormor's bread, and I can guarantee that this is a winner! :-)

    ReplyDelete